Schedule of Arrivals

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Newberry National Volcanic Monument Oregon

Journey to a Land of Water Wind and Fire

Part D: Newberry National Volcanic Monument

Glass Stones



This stop in the Paulina Peak section of the Newberry National Volcanic Monument was, for me, probably the second highlight of our trip (Simpson Beach at Shore Acres State Park being the first highlight). In doing my research about Central Oregon I had read about the Obsidian Flow, and as noted in a previous post, I had seen it from “up above” (Paulina Peak). But this is where I got out of the car, and with J. as my companion, set off to explore the area.

The flow towered above us as we approached, I estimate it was probably as tall as a 4 or 5 story building above the floor of the Newberry Caldera. As I paused to look at it (that is Paulina Peak, our previous stop, in the background), I marveled. Then when I read some of the interpretative signs along the trail, I was even more in awe. The flow is made up of 3 kinds of rocks, Obsidian, that is to say almost pure glass, Grey Pumice, and White Pumice. Of the 3, the Obsidian was the most unusual to say the least.

It shined in the sunlight, almost as if someone had come by with a “shining cloth” and brightened it up for a military-type inspection. I was never known in the military as a “fastidious dresser” per se (I always figured if it was good enough for U.S. Grant, it was good enough for me). Thus, shining shoes were never my forte (I was more noted for my muddy boots which I wore with pride because I got them visiting with the troops). Thus to say that these rocks would have passed my inspection is not really saying very much. But trust me, the rocks were very bright and shiny.

Obsidian was very valuable in the life of the Native American tribes in this area. They used to come to here to gather the obsidian once a year or more. After they had collected the rocks, they would form them with their crude instruments into sharp heads for their arrows. Sometimes these arrow heads were for their own arrows, at other times the arrowheads became a “medium of exchange” which they used in their trading activities. As we were walking through a particularly glassy area where the trail went over obsidian that was actually fines particles of glass (signs caution you to wear sturdy shoes on this trail, not sandals, flip-flops, or tennis shoes), J. remarked to me: “Just think, Native Americans used to come up here with nothing more than hide moccasins to protect their feet. I bet they suffered a lot for their collecting efforts.”

Obsidian is still valuable today for the same reason it was valuable to the Native American tribes. It provides one of the sharpest edges known today. It is used in several different types of applications involving cutting. For example, some medical tools used to make surgical incisions, have obsidian cutting edges. It is also a popular stone used in for various decorative purposes. Needless to say, if you search the net for Obsidian you will find that many of the entries are for businesses that are selling the stuff, mostly to jewelry makers. For this reason, several signs throughout the area cautioned visitors to look and enjoy, but do not take a “souvenir” it is government property.

The other 2 kinds of rock in the area were white and grey pumice.

The white pumice stood in sharp contrast to the rest of the rocks around it, and was easy to spot.


Pumice (both the white and the grey) is “frozen volcanic foam” (see: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/recreation/trails/3958a-obsidianflow.shtml). This means it is filled with many small pockets of air. Accordingly, big boulders that would appear to be very heavy are, in fact, very light (as J. is showing here).

This was not the first time we had seen this. J. had been with me on the Johnson’s Ridge Observatory at Mt. St. Helen’s in Washington. We had both been impressed when one of the Ranger/Guides there picked up a very large stone and batted it around like a beach ball. He explained to us that many of the rocks in the Cascades region are exceedingly light because the Cascades are very “gassy” volcanoes. Thus, many of the rocks they leave behind, particularly pumice (which as noted above is nothing more that foam that has cooled), are very light. Since that experience, I have seen several other pictures taken in the Pacific Northwest, and according to one guide I read, it is a “favorite Kodak moment” for many visitors to that area. So consider the above another “Kodak Moment.” And if you every get out that way, maybe you too can impress your friends back home with your demonstrated strength.

Of course, there was some vegetation up on this flow. But it was all very precarious, and obviously it was and is tough for plants to survive in this environment.

As I said at the beginning of this post, all in all, I was impressed, and so were my companions. I would definitely recommend this area to anyone wanting to visit in Central Oregon.

No comments: