Schedule of Arrivals

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Newberry National Volcanic Monument Oregon

Journey to a Land of Water Wind and Fire

Part D: The Deschutes River Valley

Lots of Lava

After a rather scary trip up US Route 97, we finally arrived in the Newberry National Volcanic Monument area. We had already determined that since this first day was only a “partial day” we would go to the Visitor’s Center and see what they had to offer.



The Visitor’s Center itself was very nice. However, with only a few hours before closing left we opted to go straight for the trails (particularly since I had already been to their site on the Web). On our way in we saw the “lava butte” and also a glimpse of what else was in store. So after a few minutes devoted to “checking in” we headed for the Lava Land trail.


One of the first stops we made on the trail had the following sign:



Now as one of many of my generation who stayed up until 3 AM the morning Neil Armstrong walked on the moon for the first time, I was impressed with the idea that I was, in a very loose sense, following in his “footsteps.” And, the more we walked through the area, the more I began to realize that for once NASA probably had gotten it right. I have seen many of the pictures the expeditions to the moon had brought back, and you know, it did look kind of like what I was seeing. So this was a good training ground.



There were a few sparse plants around trying to make a “go” of it. But overall, the impression one received was that you were completely surrounded by rock, dark black rock. Yes, we were definitely on something that was close to a “moonscape.”



I have been many places in my lifetime, and experienced many different types of topography, but this place was truly different.

No comments: