Schedule of Arrivals

Monday, April 14, 2008

Cypress Gardens FL

Our other Florida activity consisted of spending 2 days at "Florida's First Theme Park" Cypress Gardens. Peggy and I had visited the park on one of my 2005 visits. At that time, there had been a change in the management and they were attempting to re-juveniate what had become a rather dated attraction.
For many years, Cypress Gardens had been known chiefly for:
"Southern Belles"
Some magnificant gardens

A water ski show (indeed it pioneered the concept in 1943)

And a small zoo.

But time, and Disney World, had taken its toll. New owners and managers had been brought in, new carnival-type rides installed, and a series of big-name entertainment shows had been brought in.

On that earlier trip, parts of the gardens, plus the zoo were closed due to the tremendous damage done to the park by the hurricanes of 2004. So this time Peggy and I wanted to see those parts. Plus Alice had not been with us on that earlier trip and had never been to Cyress Gardens.

On this trip I got in free because I was retired miliary and the "girls" got in at a reduced price (a nice surprise)! We (Peggy & myself that is) found much of the park was the same as before.

Alice, this being her first time, enjoyed her visit. I think for her the high point was the water ski show. When we went back a second day, we "had" to see it over again, and indeed it was enjoyable.

As for me, my favorite part remained the Botanical Gardens, and the birds associated with it. One difference I noted, however, was that the water was much lower than my previous visit. That was probably to be expected. After all, I was there after all those 2004 storms with all their water. Plus, I knew from Peggy, that there area had been in the overall Southeastern Drought area.

However, I am, and remain, concerned about the long-term future of the park. Both of our visits to the park this time (and both of the times we went before), the crowds were less than over-whelming. Admitted, we didn't go on week-ends or during the summer vacation time. Nor did we see any shows. But I am afraid that if they run into one of those "results-oriented" "bottom-line" financial types (you know the ones who created the current economic mess through their "sub-prime" lending program), who looks at an empty parking lot and from that sole criteria sees this as a "hopeless cause" and decides to "pull the plug" they might be in trouble.

I sincerely hope the park is doing well enough to stay afloat financially, particularly in these troubled economic times. It is too nice an attraction to be torn down to make way for a giant mall.

Is Cypress Gardens another Disney World? No (and I have been to both Disney World and Disneyland). But it is a nice place to go with your family. The experience will be totally different (to say nothing of being cheaper), but also enjoyable.

So if you go to Florida to "do the Disney thing," consider making room to see Cypress Gardens. And maybe even consider doing Cypress Gardens rather than add your nickels to the coffers of Walt Disney Company. As U said above, you will not have the same experience, but I suspect you will still have a good time.

And that is what "vacation" is all about isn't it?

No comments: