Schedule of Arrivals

Friday, January 25, 2008

Musings of a Front Yard Birder

Red Breasted Nuthatch
Like many folks everywhere, I feed the birds, particularly in the winter. This winter has been no exception. Every year I do it, however, it seems to be a different experience, particularly with the birds I attract.
This year the "novelty" bird is a Red Breasted Nuthatch. Now according to the "books" a Red Breasted Nuthatch is not unique to our corner of the world. The Ohio Valley of West Virginia is definitely within his/her winter range, and the uplands of WV are within his year round range. Further, they are not a particularly rare species. Indeed, I remember them visiting on an occasional basis in years past. Maybe for a week or two, and then he/she is gone. The bird books characterize this as an "irruption" normally caused by low food supplies i its normal range. Whether that is the case or not this year, all I know is that he has been here for some time and seems to like it.
But this year, this one has stayed around since Christmas. Further, he/she appears to be checking out the little birdhouse I have in my tree which is the normal abode of a brood of Chickadees. Is he/she thinking about staying around? (I really thought they prefered higher nests for one thing). Who knows? Stay tuned we'll see.

No comments: